Thursday, June 4, 2009

My dearest decoration so far



I assembled my cake for final class yesterday - fondant wedding cake with royal icing petunias :)
Ever since I joined course3 and flipped through my course book, this one cake caught my eye and I fixed my mind to do this one as my final cake.

I enjoyed working on it, but it was really tough to work with the deep flowers. Even though I dried them for 4 days, until I got the technique to peel off the aluminium foil, I broke about 4 flowers. Even after I figured the technique, I broke another 2 flowers, because they dried too much.

Lessons:
1. Make many more flowers than you would think you'd use for your cake.
2. Make sure you are working with Med consistency Royal icing for the deep flowers. The flat ones like cherry blossoms can be worked with thick or thin..even if u accidentally make ur icing thin.
3. Make sure you let the flowers dry for atleast 3 days. Then check on them. Dont let the flowers over dry as well.
I sent the pictures to my friends and was amazed at their response...4 of them got inspired to take courses themselves as well, after seeing the pictures...the value of visual impression huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment